There are loads of benefits to choosing a niche for your blog. It helps you plan your content, grow your brand, connect with others and ensure you maintain consistency. It also help make you more ‘marketable’ should you wish to work with brands or monetise your blog in the future.
You should have already worked out what your blog’s core purpose and objectives. But by choosing a niche you can refine your content and direction even further.
How To Choose A Niche For Your Blog
This is a practical task so grab yourself a pen and paper to scribble down as many ideas as you can in answer to the following questions:
- What category does your blog fall under?
- Are there any sub-categories you would like to include on your blog?
- Choose five words to describe your blog now. Then five words to describe how you want your blog be in the next six months.
- Who is your target audience? Be as specific as you can.
- What makes your blog unique?
- What are you really good at?
- What makes you an expert?
- What do you want to be known for?
- Imagine what your blog will look like in 12 months time?
- Finally pick a few themes that you would like to carry through your blog over the next 12 months.
You can tackle the challenge simply through brainstorming or mindmapping. Or maybe bounce ideas off a friend or peer.
I like to write lists in different coloured pens.
Or maybe grab a pack of post-it notes and answer each section on a different piece.
When you have finished, step back, walk away from what you have written and then come back after a break to see with fresh eyes how to piece those thoughts together to form a coherent blog style, and ultimately what niche to choose for your blog.